THE CITY HALL
Built in white and red local marble in a classical style, the majestic City Hall with its cell tower, columns and foil roof, overlooks the old town of Asiago.
Housing the Spettabile Reggenza dei 7 Comuni (the “Esteemed Regency of the 7 Municipalities”, an autonomous government) and the subsequent Consortium, the palace was destroyed during the First World War. After the war the town decided to reconstruct the palace and on 22nd October 1922, the reconstruction project presented by the Venetian architect Vittorio Invernizzi was chosen.
On July 6th, 1924, the first memorial stone was laid. On it there was carved the motto of the reconstruction of Asiago: “Ex igne splendidor”.
The marble-cutters from Vicenza carved a lion of San Marco made of marble on the Bell Tower; the lion of San Marco was represented also on the flag given by the Venetians to the Regency of Asiago. On the western façade, a mosaic reproduced also the coats of arms of the 7 other municipalities.
In the Loggia dei Caduti (“Loggia of the Fallen”) there is the statue “Faith in the greatness of Italy”, accomplished by a famous Venetian sculptor, Annibale De Lotto. In 1927 the clock on the bell tower was erected together with the bronze bell: the bell was tuned in C and had a diameter of 139 cm and a weight of 1600 kg.
The Palazzo Podestarile di Asiago (the “Authority Building of Asiago”) was inaugurated on 21st September 1929, in the presence of the Prince of Piedmont.
The rooms of the City Hall are decorated with Murano glass chandeliers, mosaics and stuccos.
In the Sala Consiliare (the “Council Chamber”), also called Sala Quadri (“Hall of Paintings”), there are 12 wooden bas-reliefs painted by the local artist Giovanni Forte Tanasio and representing the 12 months of the year.
There you can also see four paintings by Venetian painter Alessandro Pomi, each measuring 5 meters x 2 metres, depicting: the devotion of the Esteemed Regency to Venice, pastoral activities, working in the woods and the glory of victory.
The ceiling of the building is panelled in wood. Special reliquaries, dated to the regency of General Cristiano Lobbia (17th century) preserved some of his personal items, including the uniform and a theodolite telescope, an instrument of his own invention for measuring angles in topography.
Among the historical certificates kept here, the one from the Federal Institute for the reconstruction of Asiago and Roana and the one that states the elevation of the town to the rank of “city” in 1924, stand out.